These classes are fantastic for children with:
- Communication difficulties
- Sensory processing difficulties
- Specific learning needs
- Developmental Language Delay (DLD)
- Gross and fine motor difficulties
- Social and behavioural anxiety
The KickStart Swimming Program is suitable for preschool and early primary school aged children. Individual education plans are created for students in these private classes.
Our specially trained teachers are patient and understanding of swimmers with neurodiversity.
The program involves;
- Parent Interview/Questionnaire – comprehensive background information for each student is required for effective individual planning needs
- Student Preparation
- Possible Environmental Modification
- Parent Participation – assessed individually
- Visual Aids
- Teaching Strategies
Unfortunately it is difficult for these classes to be private in the evenings. The program can be implemented in mainstream classes if availability permits.
PLEASE NOTE: Even though Berrydale has a strict caps on policy we do understand that for some children this may be an issue. We do not force the caps wearing policy when it is sensory situation or would impede the child entering the water to enjoy a lesson. Enjoyment and participation is of utmost value. If this would be an issue for your child please discuss this with us so we know in advance.
The KickStart Swimming Program was developed by Sunbury Community Health Centre, with support from the Windermere Foundation Ltd, ANZ Trustees and The Shane Warne Foundation. Our staff teaching this program have been specially trained by the Community Centre.